12 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Talk about the 12V engine and drivetrain here. This is for 1994-1998.5 engine and drivetrain discussion only.

Corrosion on Battery Terminals

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2006, 07:31 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by waldersha
One other "home-remedy" to try, and I thought this was crazy at first too, but if you use the baking soda and water to get them all cleaned up, take a penny and use a spot of grease to stick it on the top of the battery. For some reason the penny will take the corrosion and your posts will remain clean.

Read that on some website a while back and tried it. Seems to be working so far.
I have been using pennies on my batteries since I started driving. Just put it next to the negative post. Works great and it only costs 2 cents.
Old 09-10-2006, 12:02 AM

anti-seize compound

After you get it cleaned up with the backing soda and water trick, just put anti-seize compound on it. The aluminum or the copper both work great. They both have an oxidizing inhibitor and they stick and stay on for years, even survive some pressure washing. It's also a lot easier to paint on than grease, and if you don't get both the post and clamp completely covered they can start to corrode again (I found I could not get good coverage with grease).
Old 09-10-2006, 01:05 AM

Originally Posted by seven iron
I use penetrox. It is a oxide inhibitor that we use in the elect industry for joint connections. Prohibits oxidation.
I've used that in the past and it worked pretty well on car battery terminals. The primary solid ingredient in Penetrox, NoAlox, etc, is Zinc powder mixed into a really good anti-corrosion grease that adheres to connections. (I believe it also has some aluminum powder too.)
The special compounded grease is somekind of REALLY sticky, tenacious grease that I believe does as well as any other grease on battery terminals.
BTW, the Penetrox grey fillers WILL corrode to a white color when excessive battery acid gets into the act of reacting with it. It still was working, keeping the clamp-to-post joint clean and corrosion-free, but the surface of the Penetrox layer was taking a beating from the Sulphuric acid...
At work, I use cans of tan colored, No-Ox-id grease on the terminals and intercell straps on the big stationary UPS battery banks. That stuff has the consistancy of somewhere between Vaseline and Paraffin Wax(at room temps).

K.