12 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Talk about the 12V engine and drivetrain here. This is for 1994-1998.5 engine and drivetrain discussion only.

Cold starting woes!!

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2004, 05:15 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cold starting woes!!

Ok, USUALLY my truck starts great, well, not yesterday, it cranked FOREVER before it started, turned out it was leaking fuel out the fuel filter because it was loose. Well this morning I went out there (it was 25 deg. last night, just so you know), and It cranked fine. Well, i cranked it for about 5 sec, no deal. So i crank it again, half throttle and it sputters and starts after about 10 seconds. Well i decided to replace the fuel filter thinking maybe it was still letting air in, i am not sure where to look otherwise. I shut the truck off right after it started, and it fired right up again, so it seems like im losing my prime somewhere.
Ryan
Old 11-22-2004, 06:05 PM

Ryan, you may just have air in the lines, still. I discovered (the hard way) my fuel gauge was slightly inaccurate. Turns out I was probably running on vapors when I filled it up. When I tried to start it, it behaved identically to yours. Only it was about 75 degrees outside. It took several starting attempts (some times it started and stalled, some times it didn't start so let starter cool then re-crank). Once I finally got it to start and was able to milk the throttle to keep it going, it finally smoothed out and runs fine now. Initially, I had no idea what the problem was but it was in retrospect as I drove home that I realized air might have got in the lines from letting the fuel level get too low. Not sure that's your exact problem, but seems to be what mine was.
Dave
Old 11-23-2004, 12:21 AM

Not sure what kind of truck you have so I'll be generic. Check the fuel supply AND return lines for being hard or brittle and for abrasions from rubbing on the firewall or frame. Remove the water seperator filter under the fuel heater next to the lift pump and clean it. Check the primer pump for signs of fuel leakage. Check all return lines on the injectors for leaks. In general look the complete fuel system over for any signs of wetness. If there is , fix it. If all looks well, check the intake air heaters. There are 2 heaters with 2 solinoids to control them. Use a test light at the heater terms. They either turn on or not. Good luck

Howard
Old 11-23-2004, 05:10 PM

Ok, threw on a new fuel filter, and since then it has performed flawlessly, so the gasket on the old one must have been bad, leaking air in. Thanks for the reply's guys!
Ryan
Old 11-23-2004, 07:09 PM

Rganser,

When you get a chance, fill in your signature in your "user cp" so that others can give you specific answers according to your year/model truck.