12 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Talk about the 12V engine and drivetrain here. This is for 1994-1998.5 engine and drivetrain discussion only.

Cold Miss

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2003, 04:36 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cold Miss

I started my truck yesterday when the temp was about zero. I didn't have it plugged in also. When it fired it was sounding like it was only firing on two cyl. for a little. After it started it had one dead cyl and it absolutely would not pick the rpms up above 1000 UNTIL I let off the throttle and allowed it to idle for a couple of seconds. It still had the miss but it would allow me to bring the rpms up to 1200 for some warm up. After it ran for a few minutes the miss seemed to go away and it ran like normal. Also when it would not pick up rpms it was smoking like a freight train on steroids. It has smoked before when cold, seemed like it had a slight miss when cold, but nothing like last night. It acts very similar to when the timing was retarted. I made sure that I torqued EVERYTHING when I retimed it last year. It seems to run just fine when the temp is above zero. Plugged in I don't have a miss either no matter what the temp. Above zero it starts and runs fine. Any ideas?<br>Tom
Old 02-23-2003, 06:36 PM

Re:Cold Miss

Here's what I do. Plug it in, on a timer so it starts warming at about 4:00 AM. Start as normal and gently ease RPM's up to 1000 , AFTER oil pressure has come up. <br><br>You'll get a thousand opinions on this, but I'd say it was running normally for a cold motor. Mine does the same, if I forget to plug it in.<br><br>My 2 cents
Old 02-23-2003, 09:18 PM

Mine too! I got mine on a timer!
Old 02-23-2003, 10:45 PM

don't worry it seems like it's very cold there. they will smoke like crazy at that temp if you dont plug them in. I plug mine in when its above 32 just to warm it up a little. we have volvo low compression engines in our motion picture generators (built for california low emissions) that have 14:1 compression ratios <br>that smoke so unbelievably even in summer and you should see them in winter up here in the rainforest of vancouver canada, as I've said B4 looks like the wicked witch of the west is coming from the stack!
Old 02-26-2003, 05:43 PM

I'm not concerned about starting it, I have a timer on my cord now. Yesterday it startyed without a miss at -19*. I was wondering about the cold miss. I have started diesels in temps as low as -35* but they didn't seem to have a miss either. I'm putting in extra Power Service to see if maybe I have an injector that might be a little dirty or something.<br>Tom
Old 02-27-2003, 08:17 AM

There is a little valve on the top of the pump tward the fron of the engine. I can't remember the name of the dang thing but somebofy will figure it out. Mine had this miss and when I replaced that valve it went away. I have started my truck in -10.&quot;as cold as it gets here&quot; without any miss. and my block heater does not work so it was only the grid heaters that helped me start,<br>DM01
Old 02-27-2003, 03:10 PM

Ya mean the overflow valve? I was kinda wondering if that would have anything to do with the cold miss. Could someone clarify that thought???<br>Tom
Old 02-27-2003, 04:59 PM
Administrator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yes, it is the overflow valve. Take it out and stick a small screwdriver in the end and make sure the ball valve isnt sticking. If you take it apart, be sure to pay attention to where the shims, spring and ball went. I believe the length of the spring should be 1/2&quot;. If it isnt, stretch it out to this spec. I would also check the fuel return line. There is a small piece of rubber line that runs behind the filter and just below the filter. I believe it is 5/16&quot;. A crack in this line can cause rough idling, smoking etc. Be sure to go back with stratoflex line or a good diesel rated line.<br><br> Monty
Old 02-27-2003, 08:13 PM

Thanks all for the help. Hopefully the weather holds like the forcast claims it will be for sat. (hi about 35*). I will pull it and check it then. I will post the results.<br>Tom