12 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Talk about the 12V engine and drivetrain here. This is for 1994-1998.5 engine and drivetrain discussion only.

broke off wires to fuel filter water sensor

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2008, 07:49 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
broke off wires to fuel filter water sensor

they were hanging by threads then when i put a new filter on i broke both of them clear off. now the truck wont start. will the truck start without the sensor hooked up or am i having a primer issue?

thanks
Old 07-25-2008, 08:34 PM

I broke the wires off mine too. Truck still runs. I bet you have air in the fuel system.
Old 07-25-2008, 09:20 PM

ok that was wierd. i did the 10psi air compressor trick in the fuel tank and bled threw the bango bolt on the top of the fuel filter housing. that worked. and as i let it idle for about 5 minutes it died out on me. i could get any fuel to bleed out the bolt again so i removed the filter and refilled it and the prefilter (i cleaned it earlier too) to the top,(cause they were both nearly empty) pressed the primer button 50 times and it started up pretty good and stayed running that time. the only thing i can think of is when i put the drain tube back on the bottom of the filter maybe it stayed open a little or.. i left the fuel tank cap off too. does that do anything?
Old 07-26-2008, 09:07 AM

I can never get the compressed air thing to work for me, tried the air fitting in the fuel cap, as infidel mentioned. Well back to your problem- Geno's have the sensor replacement for about $25 bucks if you want to replace it.

Floyd
Old 07-26-2008, 09:30 AM

You shouldn't need either stock fuel system component: water sensor or fuel heater. I don't have either hooked up with my Airdog system and the truck runs just fine. It sounds like you should try re-priming the system and sees if your problem disappears.

Last edited by meangreen96; 07-26-2008 at 09:31 AM. Reason: Left out a word
Old 07-26-2008, 09:40 AM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by blackimpala
I can never get the compressed air thing to work for me, tried the air fitting in the fuel cap, as infidel mentioned.
If your compressor isn't big enough sometimes it can't keep up with the vent on top of the tank. Amount of fuel in the tank makes a big difference also, Fuller is better but if too full be careful, sometimes when you remove the air hose fuel shoots back at you.
Old 07-26-2008, 11:18 AM

Originally Posted by meangreen96
You shouldn't need either stock fuel system component: water sensor or fuel heater. I don't have either hooked up with my Airdog system and the truck runs just fine. It sounds like you should try re-priming the system and sees if your problem disappears.
so those wires are for a fuel heater too? the prongs on the inside are a heating element? that would be important to me in the winter because i sometimes run biodiesel mixtures.
3rd question: i also tried bleeding the lines at the injectors but couldnt get fuel to come out by pumping the primer. is that how to do that? does the primer pump fuel right past the injection pump? or do i need to be turning the engine over to bleed at the injectors?
Old 07-26-2008, 01:34 PM

The fuel heater is located on the top of the primer pump housing. My actually burned out before I put on the Airdog.

The two prongs you see are contact to measure the conductivity of water. That is how the system senses water in the fuel.

The best way to bleed the fuel lines between the injection pump and the injector is to crack the lines a little at the injectors and then crank the engine over. The primer won't push fuel past the injection pump. The overflow valve will simply pump fuel back to the tank.