12 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Talk about the 12V engine and drivetrain here. This is for 1994-1998.5 engine and drivetrain discussion only.

Brakes (an oldie but goodie) 2WD question

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2006, 12:33 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Brakes (an oldie but goodie) 2WD question

Hi All, sorry about bring up another brake question but I spent the morning searching the archives and couldn't find much on 2WD rotor replacement so I assume they are so easy that no one discusses them. My rotors and pads on my '96 2500 2WD are shot and need to be replaced. I feel that I can probably do it a little cheaper than my $606.18 quote from NTB. Can I assume that this being a 2WD model that the rotors just hop off since I don't have hubs to contend with? A 2WD brake rotor/pad replacement procedure, tips or comments would be greatly appreciated.
Should I also replace the calipers while I'm stripping it down anyway?
What about the front bearings, inspect, repack or just replace while I'm in there?
And now for the kicker, pads. It appears to me that most (but barely) suggest going with good but softer pads to save the rotors with OEM being a favorite. I like the lack of dust of ceramic but have experienced more disc warpage on other cars I've put ceramic on than standard pads. Out of the pads sold by O'Reilly's, Autozone, Advance and Napa what's the recommendation?
cheers
Old 02-22-2006, 12:56 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I would price out napa's top line and also ask about a second(cheaper) line of rotors ; i've put a few on and have had no issues with them. You just need to compair the price difference and decide which is the best for you.Might as well price out bearings as well, if the price is right no point even checking the old ones, just replace. calipers should be ok unless you have a brake pull when you brake. Put quality pads in.
Old 02-22-2006, 01:07 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
if your setup is anything like mine, be real careful when driving the wheelhub out to get at the rotor (its bolted on behind it). If you try to drive the thing out by the disc or with a puller on the shaft, you might end up splitting the hub. Infidel has a neat suggestion.. loosen the four 12point 14mm nuts on the back and place a socket extension betweeh one of them and the axle / shock area and turn the steering wheel to use the hydraulics as a press. otherwise you can also thread the nuts flush with the end of the bolt and whack it with a hammer if youre careful.
Old 02-22-2006, 01:45 PM

Yeah, I found Infidel's ingenious little method this morning. Now he's got some wheels spinning in his head... Does it apply to a 2WD also, I thought he was pulling the rotors on a 4WD? I don't have to worry about splitting a hub on a 2WD now do I? The Napa parts guy told me that I didn't need wheel bearings as they were built into the rotor assembly. What was he talking about?
Old 02-22-2006, 02:18 PM

The races for the bearings will be pre-installed , but not the cones"rollers".
Old 02-22-2006, 02:56 PM

just called a few parts places here in B'ham AL including the dealership to price out the rotors. First three had their cheapest ones from $89-$109 and only Napa had a "higher" quality (Bendix I think) for $139. The dealership told me that the retail on OEM rotors was $400 "that's a pair, right?" "no, that's each but no local dealership shows any..." wonder why? Probably sold out I thought. The next store Westwood which I think is a small chain just around here, had 'em for $49.95. I asked him to verify that they were for a 2WD and not 4WD, and he did. He's holding them until I can get down there... Is that the way parts are priced on these monsters or is this a fluke and I'm taking advantage of computer glitch?
Old 02-22-2006, 03:43 PM
JKM

The 2wd rotors are one piece with the hub, I THINK , afaik , they do not press apart like the 4wd's. And unless someone screwed up the price , think someone looked up the wrong part number.
Old 02-22-2006, 07:48 PM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Bearing race comes with the 2wd rotor, that's why they cost almost twice as much as 4wd rotors. You will have no problem removing them.
I only use plain Brembo rotors and the cheapest Hawk pads from www.tirerack.com
High quality, long wearing, perfect match for each other.
Good price too.
Old 02-22-2006, 09:23 PM

Thanks all!

Well a pair of rotors are sitting in my truck and only one Ben Franklin left my wallet. Well one for both the rotors at least but he did leave with a couple of his friends, pads (Raybestos SDS) bearings and seals (enough for back and front, had a leaky seal on the rear) and such sure do add up. Still, couldn't be happier since 'ol Ben will not be partying with 6 or 7 of his little friends down at NTB! And I'll have new bearings all around to boot. Infidel, I'm going to run with your statement that they will not be a handle and invite a buddy from work to come over and help so he can learn how to do brakes. Hopefully his son won't go home with any new words...
thanks dudes!