12 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Talk about the 12V engine and drivetrain here. This is for 1994-1998.5 engine and drivetrain discussion only.

Brake pedal not returning all the way back

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2013, 08:04 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Brake pedal not returning all the way back

The back story is this- I moved my daughter back to college, and on the way home, my truck started to act up. It wouldn't go into lockup, and the cruise wouldn't work. About halfway home, I took my toe and pulled back on the pedal, out of habit. Lately, pulling a horse trailer, I have had to pull back to get the trailer brakes to let go. After that, the truck ran fine.
It wasn't until later that I put things together- the pedal isn't returning, disengaging the switch. Because of that, lock-up and cruise are staying disengaged. Pulling the pedal back, cruise works and so does lock-up.

The brake booster isn't that old- maybe 6 months. Of the top of your heads, is there any adjustment in the system, or is it the reconditioned booster? Thoughts? I can keep pulling the pedal back, but that gets old.
Old 08-13-2013, 10:12 PM

Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts
It's been a while since I played with the switch on my truck, but there is a way to make sure it's adjusted. That might only when first installing a new one, otherwise it's just worn out. I do think if it's just a little bit you can pick up the pedal, it's probably the switch....sorry to be vague! Good luck.
Old 08-13-2013, 11:52 PM

[QUOTE=Hodge;3198063]The back story is this- I moved my daughter back to college, and on the way home, my truck started to act up. It wouldn't go into lockup, and the cruise wouldn't work. About halfway home, I took my toe and pulled back on the pedal, out of habit. Lately, pulling a horse trailer, I have had to pull back to get the trailer brakes to let go. After that, the truck ran fine.
It wasn't until later that I put things together- the pedal isn't returning, disengaging the switch. Because of that, lock-up and cruise are staying disengaged. Pulling the pedal back, cruise works and so does lock-up.

The brake booster isn't that old- maybe 6 months. Of the top of your heads, is there any adjustment in the system, or is it the reconditioned booster? Thoughts? I can keep pulling the pedal back, bu

Are your break lights staying on? Its a little plastic box with a switch that pushes in when break peddle comes up. Mine did that and I went and found a spring about 3 inches long and adjusted it and attached it where it would just help it a little. Now it fine / No more problems. In other words the spring is pulling it back towards you when you let off.
Old 08-14-2013, 08:10 PM

The brake lights aren't staying on, but there is enough play that unless I pull the pedal back, it won't release trailer brakes, or allow the cruise to engage or lockup. The switch is only a couple of years old. I pulled it off today and adjusted it, but haven't driven it enough to see if it helped. I may take and glue a thin spacer on the pedal arm where the switch contacts to take up the space, if the problem still presents itself. But, I have decided that it is a problem in the switch, not the booster.