12 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Talk about the 12V engine and drivetrain here. This is for 1994-1998.5 engine and drivetrain discussion only.

BOV or wastegate.....

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2004, 10:38 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
BOV or wastegate.....

theres a discussion going on at another website i belong to about diesels......anyway, for some real true answers i thought id come to you guys. Im jeepinzach on it.....you can miss my signature.
http://forums.govteen.com/showthread.php?t=83780
have at it boys/girls - If you really feel like it, join there and talk to them and show em all up
Old 07-27-2004, 11:18 AM
Banned

you really wanna blow their mind? tell them the reason diesels don't run BOV's is because they don't have a throttle body and they never make any manifold vacuum.
Old 07-27-2004, 11:42 AM
Chapter President

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Honestly, Cumminsredneck, I don't know how you could stand to put up with that childish banter on that website. That kind of talk is just plain stupid and makes the people on that website seem foolish. I could barely get through that entire thread without steam coming out my ears. I guess that is why I don't subject myself to that sort of thing. I am not the least bit interested in participating in that sort of thing.

I am more impressed with this website than ever before. It is full of fantastic and helpful people that love to have great conversations about the trucks we love WITHOUT putting anybody down, even if they don't share the same opinions. It is these differing opinions that I think make for some great conversations and debate.

Thanks to all the members and especially the moderators for making this website great!
Old 07-27-2004, 11:51 AM
Banned

agreed, arguing w/ an idiot never gets you anywhere... they'll bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.
Old 07-27-2004, 11:22 PM

So would a blowoff valve eliminate turbo bark?
Old 07-28-2004, 02:27 AM
Banned

yes, it would... you can hook up a BOV on a diesel w/ a solenoid valve and a microswitch.

Forrest

Trending Topics

Old 07-28-2004, 10:44 PM

Ok, let me get this straight- A blow off valve goes on the intake side, and is actuated electronically, not mechanically? So on these little ricers do they have a button on the clutch, or what?
Old 07-28-2004, 11:16 PM
Banned

no they have manifold vacuum when they let off the throttle,which triggers the BOV. we have no maNIFOLD VAC, SO WE HAVE TO USE OTHER SOURCES
Old 07-29-2004, 04:34 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I had a BOV on my old truck.

I had drag raced my old 2000 24v with an HX40 for 3 years. The first 2 years, the turbo barked badly on every single shift, but never blew. I knew It wouldn't hold up another season of racing so I had bought BD's blow off valve, and it worked fine.

It workes different than gassers...it uses boost pressure to hold the valve closed, then when you jumped off the throttle, the microswitch opens the solenoid, venting the valve, and your boost pressure on the other side pushes the valve open.
Old 07-29-2004, 04:39 PM
Banned

you can actuate it quicker by running vacuum to it... remember, the vac pump makes 15lbs of vac at idle

Forrest
Old 07-30-2004, 11:05 AM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally posted by BoostnBenz2
That sounds like an expensive BOV.

But a BOV that hits this high of pressure without leaking is going to come at a price.
Exactamundo!!!!
That's why I don't think one that works off vacuum would be of any good on our diesels. With my HX40 it had to hold 40psi without leaking. So I do believe you will need one that equalizes pressure on both sides of the valve to hold it closed so it doesn't leak. BD's does and it works.

I don't remember what I paid for the BD unit a year and a half ago...something like $400 bucks or so.
Old 07-30-2004, 11:13 AM
Banned

most quality aftermarket BOV's show boost to both sides of the diaphragm... so you have 40psi of boost pushing back against the 40psi in the pipe. then, when you let off, vac is applied to the top side of the diaphragm, and the BOV releases instantly.

Forrest
Old 09-19-2005, 07:56 AM

"the reason diesels don't run BOV's is because they don't have a throttle body and they never make any manifold vacuum...OWNED!"

Cumminsrednecks repsonse back on his forum. Too bad he didn't actually learn anything =P They were actually asking about making the turbo whistle, so instead of learning how this is done he finds a quote to "own" with? Nice.

Quick Reply: BOV or wastegate.....