12 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Talk about the 12V engine and drivetrain here. This is for 1994-1998.5 engine and drivetrain discussion only.

Automatic Tranny issues ALREADY..

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2005, 01:28 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Automatic Tranny issues ALREADY..

Bought a 98 12V cummins with automatic tranny in March.
175k miles. Rebuilt tranny with stock components.. Then they put in a Mojave green torque converter and transgo shift kit.

Tranny shifts very nicely, and when you put it in drive or reverse it HITS right away.. jerks the truck. Nice engaugement.

Anyways... the last few times I've driven the truck, when the truck has set for 4 or more hours, it seems like it doesn't want to engauge in gear for a really long time. Usually reverse is fine but drive doesn't always work right away.

Also, I've noticed in parking lots going slowly or when taking off, it seems like it goes to neutral and the truck just revs, then it engauges smoothly.

I just found out I've got a slight puncture in my tranny cooler line from rubbing on the frame.. I will be fixing that ASAP. It leaks VERY little.

Fluid level is fine.

Thanks for the help in advance.
Old 04-23-2005, 04:43 PM

change the fluid lately?? adjust the bands ever?...do u let the tranny warm up in neutral for a lil??..have u checked ur linkage?..maybe it needs some white grease or something to get it moving smoothly...i hope its not ur valvebody or some internal leak that would suck...if it is..then id say stop driving and get a rebuild so u can save that TC and put it in the next tranny
Old 04-23-2005, 05:03 PM

Hi Mr. T.. Thanks for replying..

Warming up in neutral? no, haven't done that. I'd assume linkage is fine, as it works absolutely perfect when its warmed up..
I usually start it, put it in reverse and hit the road once the oil pressure comes up. I do go easy on it until it gets in a decent temperature range.

Fluid was changed real recently as the original owner put in the transgo valve body & TC less than 5k miles ago.

As far as bands... Can you post some pictures of what to do, etc, and I'll do it?

Thanks!

As far as saving the TC.. I've heard good and bad but I'm not even sure if this one will hold 500-600HP like I plan to be at, at some point.
Old 04-23-2005, 05:15 PM

visit www.dodgeram.org...for band adjustment

http://www.dodgeram.org/tech/transmi...adj.htm...well u have an aftermarket TC...but my stock tranny is slugish in the morning...i think all the guys know that symptom..so u start the beast ..put ur parking break on...pop her in neutral..and go get ur coffee let it warm up and the trnany is ready to go when u get back

good luck hopefully its nothing major
Old 04-23-2005, 05:37 PM

So maybe the late and not firm engaugement is just a "sluggishness" issue that happens in the morning..

I'll look into the band adjustment.. maybe tackle front band.. rear band sounds like a PITA.
Also, I like how they don't list the specs for my tranny.. Crap
Old 04-23-2005, 05:59 PM

no i think ur gonna have to adjust that rear band as well during a fluid change...yeah in a stock tranny the fluid doesnt get properly circulated while in park so u get that slugish hang time shifting in the mornings..thats totally normal...maybe ur tranny mods still dont allow for proper circulation in park either...give that a try next time u start...warm it up in neutral for a few minutes
Old 04-23-2005, 06:43 PM

Fix your leak right away! Mine started off as just a pinhole and after about 100 miles, I was dumping in 2 quarts every 5 minutes to get home. Your aftermarket TC may not have a drainback valve on it, so when you start it you have to wait for the converter to fill before you will go anywhere. This is completely normal. Just like has already been said, let it idle in neutral for a minute or two, and it'll be fine. But before you do anything, FIX YOUR TRANNY LINE! A line is cheap compared to a new transmission.
Old 04-24-2005, 08:10 AM

I think Matt hit it right on the head. The converter is draining back. When that happens you do not have the fluid coupling needed to get moving. Just do like I do since mine is the same way. Start the truck, throw the shifter to 'N', give it about 15 seconds and go.
Tom
Old 04-24-2005, 02:20 PM

Can someone give me the specs to adjust the bands? Its giving me the symptoms described on dodgeram.org

I need the band specs for a 98 auto.

Thanks!

PS how much fluid do I need and can I just use cheap walmart stuff for a temporary use?

Thx
Old 04-24-2005, 08:45 PM

The adjustment is most likely the same as the 1997 47RE.

I usually have to add 5-6 qts, if I only drop the pan. The torque convertors don't always have a drain plug. Not familiar with the Mojave green torque converters. They may have a plug, or they may not. There is a half-moon shaped cover on the bottom side of where the tranny and engine bolt together. Turn the engine one full revolution to see if it has one. Don't know how much it holds.
Old 04-24-2005, 09:28 PM

Received 44 Likes on 39 Posts
My apologies if this is a stupid question, but are you checking the fluid level in neutral? If you check it in park, it will read higher than it actually is. Other than that, you may have an internal seal that is worn and not holding pressure when cold.
Old 04-24-2005, 11:46 PM

the cheap stuff is fine - as long as it is ATF +3. I've used the cheap stuff from wally world, I think it was Super Tech, as well as Citgo. Just pick up a case of it, you'll use a lot when you drop the pan, and when your line really blows out, you'll have some to get you home. Never hurts to have spare ATF in the truck!
Old 04-25-2005, 07:50 AM

I checked the fluid level while running, in neutral.

I used ATF+3 from wally world.. like 2 bucks a quart.

Changed the filter and gasket.. Adjusted front & rear bands to dodgeram.org specs.
Didn't drain TC because I didn't read about it until I was done.

Basically, I still have all the same problems. I let it idle for 15 seconds in neutral, throw it in reverse and I still don't have any engaugement for quite awhile, even in reverse. I put it in drive and sat there waiting for it to engauge.. Rolled backwards even..
At this point I'm getting worried because the problems are getting worse.

Also had it "slip" on me when going from 2-3 again I think..
Old 04-25-2005, 09:24 AM

Go to www.gbtransmissions.com and get the number for Dave. Call him and he will be able to tall you what he thinks is going on. He won't try to sell you anything unless he thinks it is needed.
Tom
Old 04-26-2005, 04:01 PM

Change the fluid and filter, and adjust the bands. Mine would also do the "neutral" thing every time i drove it till i changed the fluid, and filter, and it never does it now. I think changing the fluid and filter will fix your problems.

Eric

Quick Reply: Automatic Tranny issues ALREADY..