12 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Talk about the 12V engine and drivetrain here. This is for 1994-1998.5 engine and drivetrain discussion only.

Auto + ShiftKit + TC = How much will it handle?

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2008, 08:07 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Auto + ShiftKit + TC = How much will it handle?

I've installed a Transgo TFOD-Diesel shift kit in my 97's 47RE trans, and I'm getting ready to order a Goerend Torque Converter. The truck is a normal driver/hauler and will also do some towing with a 9500lb (loaded) 5th wheel. Pyro, Boost and Trans Temp gauges have just been installed.

I'm ready for some mild engine mods, how much horsepower and torque can I expect the 47RE to be able to handle?
I'm considering a #10 plate and 3KGsk. How much horsepower and torque will this combo produce?

The only other mods I have planned, would be a possible timing adjustment and making sure the cat isn't plugged!
Reliability and mileage are higher on my list than power.

Thanks.
Old 03-03-2008, 12:09 PM

I would talk to Dave at georend. He could tell you for sure. I am not too familiar with the transgo kit. Solid shifts are not the whole story. It needs to have higher pressure and if I remember correctly the valve body needs to be modified so that the od is lubed all the time. Dave could tell you more, its been to long ago for me to remember. I think you could hold 300hp or so if you have all the vb mods needed and either the single or tripple disc converter from georend. Your 97 already has many of the trans upgrades other than the vb and tc. One other thing is if you are going to be backing up with a trailer a lot I would look into the 4low 2 wheel drive kit. I took out my reverse trying to move my 5er up a slight grade in reverse. Now I always put it in 4 low to back up any kind of incline. I think Geno's garage sells the 4 low 2wd. kit. The reason why the 2wd kit is nice is that many times you need to turn your wheels very tight to manuver in reverse and in 4wd you are fighting the front axel u joints in a tight turn. I do not have the kit but there are many times I wish I did, but I have gotten by without it.
Old 03-03-2008, 01:28 PM

Originally Posted by lifer
It needs to have higher pressure and if I remember correctly the valve body needs to be modified so that the od is lubed all the time. Your 97 already has many of the trans upgrades other than the vb and tc.

The shift kit was installed per conversations with TransGo for a mildly modified truck and should have increased line pressure. Other kit mods included increased lube to the OD. Goerend wants to send a gauge along with the TC so line pressure can be tested before its installed. What trans upgrades did a 97 have stock over older versions?

What would you guess for HP and Torque from adding a #10 plate and 3kGsk?
What timing setting is best for MPG and Towing? (will this increase HP too?)
I see guys with head gasket problems, is this caused by too much timing and boost? What settings are safe for a stock head gasket?

Where is your Trans Temp sensor located? I used this fitting: http://www.vulcanperformance.com/ser...-dsh-02/Detail
That puts it in the hot line after the heat exchanger but before the air cooler. Took the truck for a ride last night just after hooking up the gauges and couldn't get the Trans Temp higher than 160 (running empty up hills).

Thanks for the tip about backing the trailer up an incline.
Old 03-03-2008, 01:42 PM

Sounds like you have the bases covered. The gage to check pressure is a good idea. If the pressures are wrong you will know you have another trans problem before you install your new tc. With the 10 and gsk and intake and exuast mods you will be around 275hp. You have your trans temp gage in the right place I think. You will have a good tow vehical when you are done. If you tow a lot change your trans fluid often.
Ps. There are 2 different trans filters available for your trans. Make sure you use the full flow one that does not have a shroud over the filter element. Most auto parts stores only show the shrouded one. When you install your fuel plate adjust the boost elbow that comes with it to a 35psi max at full throttle and you will have no problem with your head gasket. Timing should be 15 - 15.5 for towing and will help hp also.
Old 03-03-2008, 01:58 PM

I think the only other up grades for the trans are extra clutch plates for drive and one of the bands has an upgrade available, and billet shafts witch you wont need unless you want to drag race or pull in comp. When you eventually need a trans rebuild you can have the band and the plates added if you think you need them.