12 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Talk about the 12V engine and drivetrain here. This is for 1994-1998.5 engine and drivetrain discussion only.

All I want for Christmas is a set of injectors

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2012, 01:31 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
All I want for Christmas is a set of injectors

My 96 CTD has been getting smokier and has developed a little shake under load in the last couple of months. It has also gotten a bit louder with a little bit of a knock to the motor (insert worst nightmare here). I figured I should at least check the compression and have the injectors pop tested while I was at it since a fuel delivery problem can cause all of the above annoyances. Well, it turns out my aftermarket 370 performance injectors with 90K miles on them were 4 good, 2 bad. So I took my original 208K mile 180 hp injectors in for pop testing and it was 50/50 - 3 good, 3 bad. At least the compression test came back good enough for a 300K mile motor that has been running bad injectors and pulling loads. Sometimes it doesn't pay to go looking.

The injection shop is going to find out how much it is going to cost to r&r my original 180hp Bosch injectors so I can compare to aftermarket injectors. Right now I am leaning toward a complete new set but that is $450 or more.

Tis the season to be frustrated I reckon. I think my wife may be getting a set of injectors for Christmas. And what I really wanted was full instrumentation for the 98 QC since the PO kept what was in it for his new truck.

I think I may go stand on a corner close to a mall with my hand out and a sign that reads "Will work for injectors"
Old 12-19-2012, 08:46 PM

Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts
Originally Posted by redramnc
I think I may go stand on a corner close to a mall with my hand out and a sign that reads "Will work for injectors"
Man I don't wanna laugh at your misfortune but that one made be chuckle...been there!

I'd be checking through the classifieds, both this site and other diesel/cummins sites for a used set if you're short on cash (who isn't this month?). I've seen full sets of 215's with 150k on them go for under $200, timing is everything. Comp-d has a pretty busy classified section for stock stuff like that, for instance. If you can get a few months out of them while you save for the right injectors life could be good eh? Good luck.
Old 12-19-2012, 09:09 PM

It is official - the wife is getting a set of injectors for Christmas (that's my story and I am sticking to it). The credit card had my name on it but it came out of her wallet - not sure how that works but it ain't worth the fight to try to change it after all these years.

Local diesel injection shop called back with $509.63 price tag to re-nozzle my original 180HP injectors. I told the guy I can get a new set of better injectors for less money and he said he knew that was going to be the case but he wanted to check on it for me anyway.

Merry Christmas Piers (he may be getting the money but I am getting the goodies).
Old 12-21-2012, 10:22 AM

What shop in raleigh did you take it to? I have been looking for a good shop in the area.

I am trying some "knockoff" injectors from ebay. Claim to be 215hp OE, but appear to be something made in china of decent quality??? At $200/set It cant hurt to try, I am having them installed next week.
Old 12-21-2012, 12:11 PM

I am my own shop (have to be, its the only way I can afford it).

As for really good CTD guys in the area there is our own McMopar off of 55 south of Garner - he built my Goerend trans and has been very helpful over the years.

I had my injectors pop tested at Carolina Fuel Injection on Hodge Road in Knightdale. They only do pump rework but they have setup at least one 870+ HP P7100 pump.

As for doing injectors and timing and fuel plates it is more daunting than difficult to do it yourself provided you have the tools and a place to do it. At this point my truck is sitting outside in front of the shop because I have a Leyland tractor getting an in-frame in one side and my long-neglected Scout in the other side. Come to think of it, now all I want for Christmas is major shop time.