12 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Talk about the 12V engine and drivetrain here. This is for 1994-1998.5 engine and drivetrain discussion only.

Affordable lift pump on Ebay

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2006, 11:03 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Affordable lift pump on Ebay

Hey All, just wanted to post a link to a deal I found on Ebay. This guy is listing lift pumps buy it now for $55 shipping included. He doesn't list the 5.9 as something that it fits, but the part number 3936318 is the same as the pump that everyone else lists.

There were several left. . . I picked up one for mine and thought maybe someone else might want to as well for $100 off of retail price.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...MEWN%3AIT&rd=1
Old 10-01-2006, 03:26 AM

I bought a piston pump from that seller a few weeks ago. Great service and product for that awesome price!
Old 10-01-2006, 10:56 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Looks just like the carter LP

that i bought some time back for my truck for about 150 dollars in total, man i should have waited...

Rick
Old 10-03-2006, 10:23 AM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
I emailed them, their reply:

"Sorry, This will not work on the 5.9 engine. If you can contact a local cummins dealer for the correct part number and let me know I will check our stock to see if we carry that part number. Thank you for your interest."
Old 10-03-2006, 10:38 AM

Do these pumps work for us though? I need to replace mine and would like to save some cash.
Old 10-03-2006, 12:10 PM

Originally Posted by infidel
I emailed them, their reply:

"Sorry, This will not work on the 5.9 engine. If you can contact a local cummins dealer for the correct part number and let me know I will check our stock to see if we carry that part number. Thank you for your interest."
So it sounds like maybe they are uninformed sellers then.

Originally Posted by Kemble
Do these pumps work for us though? I need to replace mine and would like to save some cash.
I will let you know. Mine is supposed to be here tomorrow. It sure does look like the same thing in the pictures.
Old 10-04-2006, 02:08 AM

The correct Cummins part number/lift pump for your truck 94-98 12V's is 3936316.
Old 10-04-2006, 10:05 AM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
My bet is the length of the actuator rod is different on this pump than the one used on a 5.9.
Be careful, even though it might bolt right up the actuator might bottom out causing damage right on the first revolution.
Old 10-04-2006, 12:15 PM

Originally Posted by infidel
My bet is the length of the actuator rod is different on this pump than the one used on a 5.9.
Be careful, even though it might bolt right up the actuator might bottom out causing damage right on the first revolution.
Yeah, I'll do that. I noticed this morning that the part number they had was 18 not 16. But, looking through some websites that list both pumps, they list interchangibly, so I'll make sure and let you guys know.
Old 10-08-2006, 07:00 PM

Well, as I know some people are wondering, the answer is no. . .it won't work. Everything looks the same with the exception of the fittings. The one on top is much longer and the one on the bottom has a smaller hole.

I took mine off and tried to swap out fittings, but the one on the top wasn't the correct size. By the way, don't do that. Now the old one doesn't work at all rather than just not work very well.

I hope no one used my advise to make the same mistake. Sorry guys!
Old 02-24-2007, 01:40 AM

Hi,
I'm new to this forum.
I've been a Dodge owner for about two years now(1998 3/4Ton 12V 217,000mi)
Anyways I started having a low power issue. I am a class 8 diesel tech so I though lift pump! Checked all my pressures and the lift pump wasn't doing a thing. Found this cheap pump here on Ebay and saw that te fitting were different and that the pump was made by Carter for Cummins. I checked my current factory lift pump and it was also made by Carter. I orderd this LP and removed mine I put the pumps side by side and with exception of the fittings was exactly the same dimensions. Removed the pushrod and they were the same length too. I removed both LP fittings and put them up side by side. I found they had the same thread to fit the pump and the same sealing washers. The rear fitting has a screen in it on both pumps. Just the internal thread is different and the top fitting has a check valve in it on both pumps.
Also The internals looked the same. I installed this LP and had no issues all my pressures are to spec. So maybe the 1998 12 valve has an updated LP vs the 1996. I'll post pictures as soon as I get the uploaded.
Old 02-24-2007, 08:52 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by waldersha
Well, as I know some people are wondering, the answer is no. . .it won't work. Everything looks the same with the exception of the fittings. The one on top is much longer and the one on the bottom has a smaller hole.

I took mine off and tried to swap out fittings, but the one on the top wasn't the correct size. By the way, don't do that. Now the old one doesn't work at all rather than just not work very well.

I hope no one used my advise to make the same mistake. Sorry guys!
Question, can you just buy some adapters rather than swaping to make it work?
Old 02-24-2007, 10:58 AM

I had thought about doing the same. Then I thought maybe there would be a restriction. But after taking the top fitting off and seeing that all the fuel going to the IP had to go through a 1/4" hole at the outlet of the LP (under the fitting). So an adapter should work for the rear, also it is just pipe thread. Now putting an adapter on the top fitting wouldn't work in my opinion because it doesn't use pipe thread, instead it is tapered for the steel line that goes to your fillter. I guess that if it was neccesary you could do one of three things. #1 Cut the banjo end of the line, shorten the line length, Drill the banjo out so that the line will slide back in the end and silver soilder it on. #2 Pack the line with sand as to avoid bending the tube in half. Bend line to shorten its overall length. Applying a little heat might help make this task more easy. !!!Make sure to rinse out all of the sand!!!
#3 If your in a pinch you should be able to cut the line down and put a hose segment in. Just make sure that the hose can handle the pressure.

Here are some photos of the pumps side by side.

https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/...m/PICT0015.JPG

https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/...m/PICT0014.JPG

https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/...m/PICT0016.JPG
Old 02-24-2007, 04:38 PM

Originally Posted by OKCDodge
Hi,
I'm new to this forum.
I've been a Dodge owner for about two years now(1998 3/4Ton 12V 217,000mi)
Anyways I started having a low power issue. I am a class 8 diesel tech so I though lift pump! Checked all my pressures and the lift pump wasn't doing a thing. Found this cheap pump here on Ebay and saw that te fitting were different and that the pump was made by Carter for Cummins. I checked my current factory lift pump and it was also made by Carter. I orderd this LP and removed mine I put the pumps side by side and with exception of the fittings was exactly the same dimensions. Removed the pushrod and they were the same length too. I removed both LP fittings and put them up side by side. I found they had the same thread to fit the pump and the same sealing washers. The rear fitting has a screen in it on both pumps. Just the internal thread is different and the top fitting has a check valve in it on both pumps.
Also The internals looked the same. I installed this LP and had no issues all my pressures are to spec. So maybe the 1998 12 valve has an updated LP vs the 1996. I'll post pictures as soon as I get the uploaded.
My pump was a AC lift pump. That's why it wouldn't work. If it had been a carter then I could have swapped out parts.
Old 02-24-2007, 04:52 PM

I just went through this a few mnts. ago , and while researching , it would seem that from what I found , that the 4.9 & 8. will fit the 5.9 , the difference is I think I had to swap a fitting off the old pump , then I remember reading/talking to someone that the pump listed had more flow , and would work just fine .
I got mine from Marty Thomkins , Diesel Performance & Turbo , the LP , 2 gasgets , new overflow valve , 2 seals & shipping were about $150 for all .

Quick Reply: Affordable lift pump on Ebay