12 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Talk about the 12V engine and drivetrain here. This is for 1994-1998.5 engine and drivetrain discussion only.

95 Starts Easy - But Lacking Power

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2009, 12:55 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
95 Starts Easy - But Lacking Power

I just had a new AT trans put in and have noticed now that everything in the drivetrain is right that the power is signifigantly less than it used to be. The tech that built and installed the trans also noted that it seemed to have about 3/4 of the power that it should judging by the way it was shifting and the amount of throttle he was giving it. I don't drive the truck much in the winter and when I do I usually don't have much of a load on it. It starts right up in the morning just like it always has.

So here's the question. Where should I start? Before I took it back to the shop for the 500 mile checkup on the trans I noticed the low power myself and changed the fuel filter, cleaned the strainer and replaced the leaking fuel heater with no change in power. I have noticed that the idle seems a little low and bit rough and the turbo doesn't seem as loud as it used to be. Also it smokes very little when under hard acceleration. I would assume since it starts easy that it isn't a air leak in the fuel system? It has the original injectors and injection pump, never cleaned or tested. Lift pump has over 130K and the motor has never been tore apart other than a head gasket, KDP fix, and routine adjustment of valve lash. I am afraid that I don't have any guages yet to give you any hard numbers thus far. Thanks for the help.
Old 02-19-2009, 03:47 AM

Have you checked all the turbo intercooler boots ? Also check the vacuum line to the pump AFC and to wastegate.
Old 02-20-2009, 12:25 AM

Intercooler boots all look ok, but I didn't think to check the lines that you mentioned. I will do that and post back on Saturday evening. Thanks.
Old 02-22-2009, 09:17 PM

May have found all or part of the problem. I put together the boot to test the intake and found two leaks. One is the small line running from the injection pump to the OFV. The other is the OFV itself where the elbow on top screws onto the lower part. I will replace the valve and the line and re-test for leaks.
Thanks for the ideas.