12 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Talk about the 12V engine and drivetrain here. This is for 1994-1998.5 engine and drivetrain discussion only.

94 been sitting/ now won't start-HELP, please

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2008, 06:25 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
94 been sitting/ now won't start-HELP, please

I am a first gen. guy but I have a 94 that was crashed and I have not had it running in a year or so. I have it in the shed now and it is full of fuel.

I pump the primer plunger and it seems to pump and I hear a hissing noise at the top of the injection pump. I have not cracked any lines by the pump or filter yet.

I have cracked three lines at the injectors and everything is dry.

I have sprayed a little ether and penetrating oil in the intake. The heaters are not hooked up and I am right at the intake with no turbo hoses. I am holding the fuel shut off in by hand.

Does not want to fire and I don't want to dry crank too long.

What am I missing?

I have had it running since the crash, so it should fire...
Old 05-26-2008, 07:03 PM

I gotta assume someone is cranking while you're spraying. I like to use wd-40, sounds like you may need to crank it a little longer than you've tried so far. Also I'd worry more about the starter getting hot than dry cranking. You likely have oil pressure after just a few revolutions.

Good luck, RJR
Old 05-26-2008, 08:05 PM
Admin Team Leader

Received 207 Likes on 158 Posts
Check the rubber return line on the back of the IP, they have a tendency to leak there and lose prime. Might be what you hear hissing when you pump it up.
Old 05-26-2008, 11:27 PM

Originally Posted by moparguy
I gotta assume someone is cranking while you're spraying. I like to use wd-40, sounds like you may need to crank it a little longer than you've tried so far. Also I'd worry more about the starter getting hot than dry cranking. You likely have oil pressure after just a few revolutions.

Good luck, RJR
I am working alone. I have no pesky radiator, intercooler or even a left fender or core support in my way any more. I have a remote starter button wired in.

Hit hard left front into the back of a Ferd pickup. Frame is okay but cutting it in half in the morning for a box trailer. Have to drain the tank and remove it so I wanted to get it running first.

I have been trying and then letting the starter rest for a while. Getting frustrated.

I even have the throttle wired partially open as the foot pedal is no longer hooked up.
Old 05-26-2008, 11:30 PM

Originally Posted by Lary Ellis (Top)
Check the rubber return line on the back of the IP, they have a tendency to leak there and lose prime. Might be what you hear hissing when you pump it up.

I can see no leakage yet. Would that cause trouble even when using the hand primer?

I will look at it harder in the morning.
Old 05-27-2008, 12:50 AM
Cummins Guru

Received 64 Likes on 44 Posts
I would check run solenoid to make sure it is pulling up when cranking. If not check relay and fusible link wires at battery for power. Check top of solenoid to see if it looks burnt up. Then if solenoid is pulling up, loosen fitting at the overflow valve 19MM. Crank or use hand prime button on transfer pump until you see fuel coming out from fitting. Tighten fitting, then loosen fittings on injectors and crank until you see fuel here. Tighten injectors and crank engine, hope it starts.
Old 05-27-2008, 06:59 AM

Actually, by spraying wd-40 or such into the turbo, you take the fuel shut off, relays and all other possible fuel issues out of the equation.

I'd spray the fool out of it, unless the cam isn't turning or something equally unlikely, it should crank.

Good luck, RJR
Old 05-27-2008, 09:07 AM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
I've found that these engines can seem like they're cranking fine but just not enough.
Make sure your batteries have a full charge.
Old 05-27-2008, 09:46 AM

Charger hooked to the batt. at all times.

Holding the fuel shutoff up by hand.

Have had fuel at the injectors, but it seemed like it did not make as big of a mess as my 1st gen has done. Could that be low pressure? It could be that it has just been cranking leaks and not running on three and leaking on the other injectors.
Old 05-28-2008, 12:15 AM

IT LIVES!!!!!!!!

Went out tonite and hit it with a little ether and it fired right up and then restarted a few times later on its own. I have no radiator so it is just a few seconds at a time but it runs fine.

Thanks for all the advice.

Troy.