12 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Talk about the 12V engine and drivetrain here. This is for 1994-1998.5 engine and drivetrain discussion only.

93 automatic transmission fluid question

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2007, 12:19 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
93 automatic transmission fluid question HELP!

now I know most of you are going to say that I want to put dexron fluid in in my 93's automatic and that the manual probably says dexron is a suitable replacement fluid but what did dodge originally install for fluid in 93? was there a special " dodge " fluid? reason I'm asking is my dads truck seems like it slips "alot" while getting up to speed. it almost sounds like a one speed tranny as you almost cant hear it shift . it has about 130k original miles and has been serviced regularly . dad was talking with someone who had the the same truck and the same problem while running dexron fluid and he said he solved this problem by completely draining the tranny and converter(somehow) and refilling with a different type fluid. problem is dad didnt write down what this "mystery" fluid was . anyone know what this other fluid might have been? also what does a band adjustment do? and how do you drain your converter? thanks for any info
Old 07-16-2007, 04:28 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The dipstick in my 92, which I believe to be original, has 'Use Mopar ATF-Plus fluid 7176 or Dexron II' stamped right into it. Yes, it says Dexron II as in 2. Probably because Dexron II was the latest version available in 92. But the Mopar 7176 now...Hmmm. That's the good(and expensive) stuff, right? I have seen many references to the ATF 3's and ATF 4's being correct for this/that year, and many other references to use this/that fluid in this/that model transmission, etc etc etc...not to mention some swear by synthetics, some swear at them...I just stick to what the OEM equipment says, right? Figure if it's what they designed the transmission to use, that's what ought to be in it. 'Course everyone will have their own opinions/thoughts on this I'm sure! :-) You can't simply drain the converter, as it has no drain plug(another great design achievement), so you'd really need to do a complete fluid flush/change-out with one of those super-duper machines that no one seems to know how to operate. I disconnected the return cooling line and ran a hose to a drain pan, dropped the trans pan, changed the filter and adjusted the bands(which basically takes up any possible wear in the band/clutch linings), filled the pan with 4qts of fluid, then started up, placed in neutral and added fluid at the same speed it pumped out. Run it until the clean fluid color appears, about 8qts I think. Then connect the line and check/fill to normal. Of note is the current Mopar 7176 fluid, which is probably the equivalent of ATF +4, and also is the ONLY fluid the dealer recommends for ALL the years/models of transmissions(backwards compatible they say). They will not warranty their reman's w/o it. Anyways, I'd say add whatever your own transmission dipstick says. Good luck!
Old 07-16-2007, 05:43 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
if the trans doesnt have a lock-up converter one can use type f fluid for a little firmer shift. i have used it for 39 years with absolutely NO problems.
Old 07-16-2007, 07:27 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
talked with the dealer and several tranny shops today and was told to run +4 fluid and if for some reason you do end up running dexron you need to use a mopar anti slip addative. I went with the plus 4. thanks for the info guys