12 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Talk about the 12V engine and drivetrain here. This is for 1994-1998.5 engine and drivetrain discussion only.

4wd operation question

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2008, 01:24 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
4wd operation question

The other day I was on an incline over gravel & grass. The 4wd hi was engaged driving into the area. When I was turning around. the rear end was lower than the front, very little weight in the bed. after backing up, then going in drive I was spinning one of the rear tires and could not get going, the truck is still in 4wd hi. I put in 4lo, and away with no problems. question is, in 4hi, shouldn't one of the front tires spin too as the back was spinning? I have a limited slip and will be looking into that function too, but is there something I should look at reguarding the front not spinning? or is that just the way it is? Thanks, ken
Old 08-25-2008, 03:10 PM
Chapter President

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
You are correct, one of the front wheels should have been spinning. I would inspect the front locking collar for engagement during 4Hi. But if the lite was on, the front end should have been locked in. The gear selector also runs the vacuum switch for the front end.
Old 08-25-2008, 03:20 PM

4wd

I have a 95, and if yours is the same , they have a center axle disconnect, not hubs. The disconnect is either electric or air (vacum) operated.(i'm not sure on your truck, my 95 is vacum, wires are for light on dash) if the fuse (if electric)or wiring or hose (if vacum) is disconnected, then you won't get front drive. it is common to have them get caught on something (deep snow, weeds etc) and get pulled out. Should be simple. Or could be vacum switch. Testing is easy.

It is also possible that you just didn't see the front wheel turning if it was passenger side, and on grass. Find a gravel/ dirt road, put in 4wd, wait for light to come on on dash, then in 4 hi, punch the throttle, hard! If possible, have a friend(or two, even better) watch tires for spinning, or if you have acesses to a lift, put the truck up and see what happens in 4wd.(dont try this at home!!) 4wd lo probably just limited slipping/ wheel speed to the point where the tires could grab.

As you are aware, 4wd is really 2wd,and a limited slip isn't much better, especially on an older truck, they have clutches that wear out. If you want real traction, get a real locker (Detroit etc) in rear diff. You probably wont even need 4wd 90% of the time you used to need it! A company called OX used to make a cable replacement for the vacum switch, i'm not sure if they still do, but if you find one, let me know! Mike
Old 08-25-2008, 03:52 PM

The company that makes the cable kit is posi lock ,summit racing has them for $200 complete kit. Worth every penny, works perfectly all the time and you get the benefit of 2wd low for backing up heavy trailers this works awesome.
Old 08-25-2008, 05:36 PM

I had the Posi Lok cable on my old '95 and was glad I bought it everytime I used 4wd. I'll be getting another cable when I get another 12v. I just don't trust the vacuum stuff. Here's a link to the web page. http://www.4x4posi-lok.com/app_dodge.html It's an awesome product. I highly recommend it.