12 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Talk about the 12V engine and drivetrain here. This is for 1994-1998.5 engine and drivetrain discussion only.

2WD - new springs - leveling spacers needed?

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2007, 08:01 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2WD - new springs - leveling spacers needed?

So it came to pass that, upon eclipsing 220K miles, the ball joints are in need of replacement on my 2WD. The front of the truck has settled over time so it looks like I have jacked the back end up unless I have about a ton in the bed or the gooseneck hitched up. Ergo, new springs on order with other expensive pieces of metal to go in front end suspension. Should I go ahead and invest in a set of leveling spacers or are the new springs going to take care of the droop? The truck has always sat a little nose down and with a thousand pounds of diesel riding up there I figured it was normal. Does anybody make a less-than-2" leveling spacer? Or should I even worry about it?

Figured it wouldn't hurt to ask.
Old 03-21-2007, 11:02 PM

I've thought about front air bags not so much for leveling empty, but a little more ride control loaded. I have a slide in and it puts more weight on the front axle than other loads.
Old 03-23-2007, 02:06 PM

to answer my own question

I ordered Moog 7396 coils springs which were listed for a club cab 8800 GVW w/AC. The coils in my truck were 69 right and 74 left. New springs had one more coil and were 0.100" thicker wire than the original right side and a half coil and 0.050 thicker than the original left side. There is no way I could have gotten a leveling spacer wedged in there as I barely had room to get the new springs into the pockets with the control arms still bolted to the frame. It looks like it brought the front end up about 2-2.5 inches, which makes it about level now, maybe slightly lower up front. Rides a little stiffer up front too (imagine that). Now if Momma doesn't complain about the ride too much I am set for another 200K miles.

Interesting side note - the pitman arm I ordered had no splines for the steering box output shaft, just a tapered bore, not even a keyway cut. Must have missed the broaching step or something but you would think Moog QC would have caught it. Needless to say a new one is on its way.