12 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Talk about the 12V engine and drivetrain here. This is for 1994-1998.5 engine and drivetrain discussion only.

1st gen engine into a 2nd gen chassis

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2003, 11:34 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1st gen engine into a 2nd gen chassis

Does anyone know how difficult it would be to put a first gen cummins into a second gen chassis. I own an old first gen that was formerly a farm vehicle and is really rough but has a low mileage engine, and have a line on a 2nd gen with a bad engine. Would a first gen engine be a direct drop in, or is there a lot of differences in the fuel system and elctronics, it seems like if I could get the fuel shutoff seloniod wired it would be an easy conversion since the blocks are the same.<br><br>My second question is how difficult would it be to leave the getrag transmission on the engine and use the NV4500 for another project, since I don't tow with the pickup. Will the getrag bolt up the the newer transfercase, and is the length of the transmissions the same or would I have to fabricate a new tranny mount and new drivelines.<br><br>Also what are the differences in the hydraulic clutch systems, are any of the components interchangeable.<br><br>Any feedback will be appreciated and thanks in advance<br>Marv
Old 03-27-2003, 09:06 PM
RCW

Re:1st gen engine into a 2nd gen chassis

The mechanical part of the swap is a snap. The ECM and PCM on the newer truck will present a number of problems, and the dash will quit working. If you take the time to trace out the electronics it will work.<br><br>Pay particular attention to the air bag circuits and the electronics for that system on the newer truck. Do not try to bypass the PCM or the airbag system triggers will become unpredictable.<br><br>Get the Dodge repair manuals for both trucks before you start.<br><br>The Getrag transmission will swap with an early to mid-90's Ford 4X4 tail shaft adaptor. But, I think the price of the adaptor will be more than it is worth.
Old 03-27-2003, 11:02 PM

You should be able to use the rear adapter from the bad engine. Both are mechanical fuel pumps but the fuel &quot;enable&quot; is different between the VP44 rotary and the P7100 inline pumps. The VP44 in the old has a solenoid that requires 12V to run. Hopefully you could use the wire to the &quot;hold&quot; winding in the P7100, in the new. The high current circuit that engages when cranking starter could be left open circuit. The KSB solenoid circuit could be hand wired but remember to include the resistor that is somewhere beteen the solenoid, thermal switch and the 12v battery on the old one. The KSB only reduces white smoke by advancing timing when below 59 DegF. and could be left out until later.
Old 03-28-2003, 06:24 AM

If this is a first to second gen transfer, the difficulty will be related to whether the second gen is a twelve or 24V.<br><br>A 12v should not be very difficult at all, even with the electronics, since not many circuits are electronic.<br>good luck.