12 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Talk about the 12V engine and drivetrain here. This is for 1994-1998.5 engine and drivetrain discussion only.

$700 dollars later and vibrations still there!

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2009, 05:27 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
$700 dollars later and vibrations still there!

A few weeks ago i started hearing a rubbing sound coming from the front of my truck when i turned hard to the right. it started right after i swapped out my manual tranny. i checked to see what was rubbing but could find nothing. it sounds like a tire rubbing a mud flap or one of the 4link bars but there are no marks. i also checked the brake lines and no rubbing on them. i went on a long trip and the noise got worse when turning to the right. so yesterday i went and got new front wheel bearings, pads, rotors, and u joints. i changed everything out and found that both the front ujoints had a trounion that was dry and the drivers side bearing had some play in it. i put all my new parts on and took it for a test drive. the sound is still there when you turn hard to the right almost to the lock postion. it really groons when i'm turning hard right and i pull up in my drive way and the suspension gets compressed. the only thing i did not change out was my ball joints. could they be causing my noise?
sorry this is so long but i'm really at a loss. any help or ideas would be much appreciated! THANKS
Old 11-04-2009, 05:34 PM

Could it be the power steering?
Old 11-04-2009, 05:37 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hope its not your cv joints(or what ever the technical term is) for the axle universal. My 96 makes some horrible sounds and only at full lock to the right, given its got 136k and has not been greased once
Old 11-04-2009, 05:41 PM

the power steering pump is in good working order and i just flushed and refilled it about 2 months ago. I did change out the ujoints as well. It sounds like the kind of noise you get when you have meaty mud tires and they rub the top 4 link bar when you turn the wheel as far as you can
Old 11-05-2009, 01:17 PM

id try greasing everything yuo can find, all the way to the drive shaft.
then while the truck is shut off, crank hard right, and let someone ride the brake so you can roll it while being near under it.
Old 11-05-2009, 02:00 PM

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts
Power steering box will sometimes oscillate while turning when the steering valve has alot of wear but that would happen stopped as well as rolling.
Old 11-05-2009, 10:44 PM

while i had everything appart i greased everything that had a zirk on the whole truck. i also have one of those steering box stablizers mounted on the truck and i checked to make sure the bolts were tight and they were. i did leave the truck running and hooked a bungie cord to the steering wheel to keep it in the full locked right turn position and got out and looked and still could not see anything rubbing anywhere. And the noise only happens when i'm moving. i appreciate all the help but i'm still at a loss
Old 11-07-2009, 07:49 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I am having the same exact problem with my truck. The rubbin comes and goes. I have looked for something that might rub too but I am at the same stage you are. Although, there has also been a grinding coming from the passenger side of late so I think that I will soon be seeing my problem if I like it or not. I hate to hijack the thread but how do you grease all the way back? Do put a grease gun on certain places or are there nipples that will accept grease for internal delivery? Thanks and good luck. I will be hoping for your success so I can also get this problem taken care of.
Old 11-11-2009, 08:40 PM

think i might have figured it out. when i put my pacbrake on i did not have very much room in the engine bay when i put it and the new 4" downpipe in. and the way it worked out the brake sat right up against the fire wall. instead of beating the fire wall in and creating a little space i just left it. i think the brake finally worked through the insulation and is now rubbing the fire wall. looks like it time to break out the BFH ! thanks everyone for the help
Old 11-11-2009, 08:47 PM

Originally Posted by Buzz'nhalfdozen
think i might have figured it out. when i put my pacbrake on i did not have very much room in the engine bay when i put it and the new 4" downpipe in. and the way it worked out the brake sat right up against the fire wall. instead of beating the fire wall in and creating a little space i just left it. i think the brake finally worked through the insulation and is now rubbing the fire wall. looks like it time to break out the BFH ! thanks everyone for the help
Hope you have it figured out. These minor issues sure can be frustrating at times!