2nd Gen. Dodge Ram - No Drivetrain Discussion for all Dodge Rams from 1994 through 2002. Please, no engine or drivetrain discussion.

water on passenger side carpet?

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2010, 09:28 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
water on passenger side carpet?

I have '98 12v ctd extended cab. I am having a lot of water accumulate on the passenger side carpet. I pulled up carpet to dry it out but can't see where the water is coming from. I feel it must be condensation from the ac but unable to see exactly where it comes from to try to repair. I found a drain tube on firewall and although there is no trash in there it feels like it is closed up. Is there an electric connection that opens and closes that drain outlet? I havent looked at fuses. Any help would be appreciated.
Old 05-30-2010, 11:53 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
3rd Brake Light

It's your 3rd brake light that's leaking... the gasket has deteriorated. Water will leak behind the lens and channel right to the passenger floor board. I had it happen on several 2nd gen. trucks. Just pull the lens off and either apply silicone to it or get a new gasket from the dealership... only a few bucks.
Old 05-31-2010, 12:30 AM

Originally Posted by pcgym
It's your 3rd brake light that's leaking... the gasket has deteriorated. Water will leak behind the lens and channel right to the passenger floor board. I had it happen on several 2nd gen. trucks. Just pull the lens off and either apply silicone to it or get a new gasket from the dealership... only a few bucks.
Thanks pcgym for response but I dont think thats it. I had dried carpet out then made a 2 hour trip to Dallas with a/c on, but with no rain, and when I got home it was soaked again. I think it has to be from the a/c drain tube in the area of the fan/heater under the dash on passenger side. Just cant see why it is not draining throught the drain tube or how to correct.
Old 05-31-2010, 01:31 PM

I just fixed this issue on my truck. First you need to make sure if your evaporator drain tube is not clogged and draining out of the cab if it isnt you need to stick something into the draintube (screwdriver or wire coat hanger) and unclog it.

Second thing you need to do is stick a piece of heater hose on the evaporator drain tube if yours fell off (which it probably did a long time ago.)

There is also a foam gasket around your evaporator drain tube that goes bad and lets water drip backing up into the cab. Get some clear silicone and silicone around both sides of the drain tube (inside the cab and outside around the heater hose that you will need to stick on there.)

Also if you remove the blower motor and stick your hand into the evaporator box you might find all kinds of leaves, dirt and crap which i found in mine. Try to scoop most of it out with your hand or do like I did and stick a garden hose up in and spray that crap out. Dont get too happy with the hose because if you get too much water in the evap box water will come out pouring onto the transmission hump out of the floor vents. That didn't bug me too much since I pulled my carpet and rubberized the floor.

The third brake light gasket on my truck was also bad and leaking so I replaced that with a new one from the dealership ($10) or you can silicone that as well. You might as well do it if you havent already because it will leak!

I think I got everything. I know mine was doing that forever and It was making me go insane. Oh yea make sure you keep your carpet pulled back for a couple of days to air out and dry up before tucking it back into place.

Hope you get it fixed!
Old 05-31-2010, 03:41 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Water on passenger side tends to be a problem with Dodge and Jeeps. I have had a problem on both. My problem was the AC drain tube. The tube was clear and draining. The problem is that the drain tube extends out horizontally. As water seeps out it tends to move back towards the firewall on the bottom side of the drain. The foam around the firewall hole breaks down over time and allows water to seep into the cab. This will take place over a long period of time. When you discover it, water had collected in the seat floor and the carpet is soaked.

My solution was to add a short hose to the drain tube. The hose is angled down so water cannot seep back towards the firewall. This solved my problem on both the Dodge and the Jeep.
Old 05-31-2010, 04:49 PM

Originally Posted by hot rod al
I just fixed this issue on my truck. First you need to make sure if your evaporator drain tube is not clogged and draining out of the cab if it isnt you need to stick something into the draintube (screwdriver or wire coat hanger) and unclog it.

Second thing you need to do is stick a piece of heater hose on the evaporator drain tube if yours fell off (which it probably did a long time ago.)

There is also a foam gasket around your evaporator drain tube that goes bad and lets water drip backing up into the cab. Get some clear silicone and silicone around both sides of the drain tube (inside the cab and outside around the heater hose that you will need to stick on there.)

Also if you remove the blower motor and stick your hand into the evaporator box you might find all kinds of leaves, dirt and crap which i found in mine. Try to scoop most of it out with your hand or do like I did and stick a garden hose up in and spray that crap out. Dont get too happy with the hose because if you get too much water in the evap box water will come out pouring onto the transmission hump out of the floor vents. That didn't bug me too much since I pulled my carpet and rubberized the floor.

The third brake light gasket on my truck was also bad and leaking so I replaced that with a new one from the dealership ($10) or you can silicone that as well. You might as well do it if you havent already because it will leak!

I think I got everything. I know mine was doing that forever and It was making me go insane. Oh yea make sure you keep your carpet pulled back for a couple of days to air out and dry up before tucking it back into place.

Hope you get it fixed!
Thanks Al. I found your post after I had posted mine and have been keeping up with the comments on there. I will go to work following your suggestions. Thanks.
Old 05-31-2010, 11:18 PM

Thanks for all your help Hot Rod Al and ET Ram. I attached a temporary drain hose to the drain tube and tested it out. Sure enough, the water drained out the hose and none seeped back into the cab. I will buy a permanent hose tomorrow and fix it properly. I have had my carpet pulled back with a fan blowing on it for 3 days and it is finally all dried out. Now if I can get rid of the odor it will be good as new. My truck is a '98 model but only has 84,000 miles so I feel it is just getting broken in good. Next project is to add a pac-brake and a lock on the auto trans.
Old 06-01-2010, 06:55 AM

I had the same problem with mine. When running the A/C the water would just pour in the passenger side floor. I bought a two foot piece of 5/8" hose at autozone and a hose clamp. Once I made sure the fitting at the firewall was clear I put the hose and clamp on. Then zip tied the hose to the brake line bracket and cut off the extra. Works pretty good so far.
Since I got all my leaks fixed I put in some new carpet too. It looks and smells much better now.