Other Everything else not covered in the main topics goes here. Please avoid brand and flame wars. Don't try and up your post count. It won't work in here.

Jiffy Lube Scam, BEWARE.

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2006, 03:22 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Jiffy Lube Scam, BEWARE.

This clip takes some time to load, but worth the wait. I had to set the buffer up on my media player to get it, but check it out.

A news crew put cameras in a vehicle and took the vehicle to 9 different Jiffy Lubes. I beleive it was 5 of them that charged for services not provided. Always mark you filters before having someone change them.

http://mfile.akamai.com/12924/wmv/vo...52183.200k.asx

BUYER BEWARE!!!
Old 08-21-2006, 04:22 PM
Banned

Grease Monkey charged me for replacing my air filter...........when it was a AEM brand filter!!! Then argued with me that they changed it and I needed to pay for it..........so I made the manager feel about an inch tall when I took the filter off and showed him the big AEM badge on the side. What a tool!!

It's amazing how many people they screw over with all of these so called "DEALS" that they have.........if people only knew what they were getting themselves into by saying yes.........

~Nick
Old 08-21-2006, 04:37 PM

I'll pay someone to change my oil only because I can have it changed at the local tire shop for $52 using Delo. Other than that they are not to touch anything for just this reason. If I do have anything done at a shop I always ask for the old part to be returned to me for inspection.
Old 08-21-2006, 05:01 PM

Absolutely disgusting!
Old 08-21-2006, 05:03 PM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Pretty typical of grease monkeys. After the got fired from Jiffy Lube they were hired at your local Dodge dealer.
Old 08-21-2006, 06:01 PM

So, bottom-line, what does one do to ensure the dealer is on the up-and-up? Maybe we should start a dealer forum where we can get together and discuss specifics about our dealers and warn each other.

What are you guys out there doing to protect yourselves? ...and what about the guy who doesn't do all his own maintenance?
Old 08-21-2006, 06:13 PM
Admin Team Leader

Received 207 Likes on 158 Posts
If you don't do it yourself, chances are it is either done wrong or not done at all. There are some really good mechanics out there, finding them is like searching for the Holy Grail.

I don't like the idea of a Dealer forum here because it will likely turn into a bashfest and leave me open to a law suit from guys slandering a persons business on this site.
Old 08-21-2006, 06:21 PM

Here in San Jose I have only had a minor issue with Jiffy Lube, maybe because I have a repore with the guys there, and I am watching what they are doing. The only problem was that the company does not provide them with the needle injector to lube that hard to find 3 lube point...si went and bought my own, crawled underneath and finished her up. I recommended to them that they should look into purchasing one since they say they meet the dealer service recommendations. Could just be one of the Southern Californa issues...
Old 08-21-2006, 06:26 PM

Originally Posted by Lary Ellis (Top)
If you don't do it yourself, chances are it is either done wrong or not done at all. There are some really good mechanics out there, finding them is like searching for the Holy Grail.

I don't like the idea of a Dealer forum here because it will likely turn into a bashfest and leave me open to a law suit from guys slandering a persons business on this site.
Good point, Top, don't want to do anything to jeopardize DTR. Will have to think this one through.
Old 08-21-2006, 06:36 PM
P.J
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Jiffy Lube ought to be ashamed.

We used to take our cars there regularly (not the CTD of course ) I bet they are happy with that district manager, he looked like a real stand up guy

Imagine how many people per DAY get ripped in 5 of those 8 stores?
I hope they get what is coming to them.
Old 08-21-2006, 07:31 PM

You guys bring your vehicles to these places?
Old 08-21-2006, 07:41 PM

And this is why I either do it myself or i go to express lube back in SC where people give a EDIT about the quality job that they do. Plus, if they didn't the place would be shut down within the week.
Old 08-22-2006, 12:32 AM

I used to be one of these tools who talked alot about how car savvy I was, but I rarely did my own repair work. Hell, I didn't do my own oil changes very often. You can always tell the guys, because they'll sit there for an hour and explain things to you like their smarter than God, but are just repeating themselves a lot. Once you get in there and do it yourself you can explain it a lot better. Sure, you know what it is, how it works, and how to do it, but unless you've really DONE it your talk means nothing. Now, I do my own work.... UNLESS it's covered by a dealer warantee of course. I blew the tranny in my car and got into a 2 week argument with several Hyundai managers before we got something worked out on a payment issue....... Now I'm hesitant to take my car back even for warantee repairs! I feel more comfortable doing it all myself now. Just in the last month I've done more work on 5 cars than most "Car guys" do in several years, and not even on one of my cars! I gotta say, I was a bit disappointed that the guy with the small block Chevy took out the Cherry Bomb I welded into his truck for him after he found out what it sounded like without the exhaust, but hey, that's one more thing I can now say I did.....
Old 08-22-2006, 01:03 AM

Received 92 Likes on 73 Posts

That kind of business wouldn't cut it in the back-woods area where I live.

It can only work in larger metropolitan areas.

If someone got ripped off like that in my town, the whole community would know about it before supper-time.

Heck, around here, it is hard enough to collect for the work that is actually done, let alone charge for services not rendered.
Old 08-22-2006, 01:45 AM
Administrator

Received 40 Likes on 34 Posts
All the more reason as to why I do my own work.

Quick Reply: Jiffy Lube Scam, BEWARE.